Monday, June 6, 2011

South Island Trip Day #14/ #15

The next two days pretty much ran together as they were our last two days in the South Island.

Day 14 started with Sarah driving for the first time from Lake Tekapo to Christchurch and let me tell you, I'm glad I was sleeping because I probably would have freaked out. Once we got into Christchurch we walked around a little bit to see what damage the earthquake at the beginning of the semester had done. It was absolutely terrifying to see the collapsed buildings and all the beautiful things that once stood on the ground in thousands of pieces. The whole city center was blocked by military to prevent people from entering. It was completely mind-boggling. After finding out there wasn't much to do in Christchurch and eating lunch, we headed off the Birdlings Flat which is a beach known for its stones. The ocean was vicious at this point and almost ate Becca on multiple occasions. I got some pretty need stones that just need a little polishing and they'll be gorgeous. After that, we ate fish and chips at this little diner and were off to find a place to sleep for the night.

Day 15 started with the short drive to Akaroa, just a little French settlement. Becca and Sarah explored while I slept in the car because I was still not feeling well from the night in the rain/ hail by Jack's Blowhole. Then we were headed back to the car rental building to turn in Ferdinand and head to the airport to head back to Auckland.

Once I arrived in Auckland I was happy to be in my own bed without the people I'd spent the last two weeks yet, but the funniest part was that the very next day we acted like we hadn't seen each other in years.

Overall, the trip was a blast and a lot of memories were made that I'll never forget. If any of you are planning on traveling to New Zealand, renting a car is the way to go, that way you can stop when you feel like it and keep driving if something doesn't sound interesting to you. If you decide to take a bus, then you're just NUTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment