Monday, June 6, 2011

South Island Trip Day #12

We were going to go to the only castle in New Zealand that morning, but it turns out it's 27 bucks to get it. Not really worth it, so we just decided to leave Dunedin. So it was off to Shag Point! and we finally got to see sea lions!!!!!!!!!! They were so cute just laying on the rocks sunbathing :) That's the life I want to live.

Then we went to the Moeraki Boulders which are featured in The Chronicles of Narnia: Journey of the Dawn Treader. They were probably my favorite part about the South Island. I loved being able to walk along the beach and climb all over these boulders which just happened to be placed in the ocean of no apparent reason. If you want to learn more, I suggest you wiki them because they are a strange monument that nobody knows why they are in existence.

After the Boulders we were off to Oamaru to see some penguins, we paid to go into the blue penguin colony where we saw two penguins that were molting. Then we saw a giant sea lion who we named Stanley just chilling on the wharf deciding whether he wanted to go back for a swim or not. Eventually he decided to go for it and left us. After we headed to the yellow- eyed penguin lookout in hopes of catching a few penguins leaving the ocean for shore for the night. We waited forever in the cold for them to come and the first one that came out we missed because we were in the wrong spot. After that I decided to go back to the car because I was extremely cold and not feeling all that well. The other two came back and said that four more came on shore and that they got some pictures, so I just looked at those. All I really wanted to see that day was sea lions and I got my wish.

Then it was time for McDonald's, which usually I hate, but that night I really, really enjoyed it and we were off to Mt. Cook for the next day's adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment